How to choose a quality diamond? How to determine the quality of a diamond? Use our diamond quality guide and find out!
Diamonds come in various colors, sizes, and shapes and all diamonds have their own specific combinations of characteristics that make them one-of-a-kind. Knowing how to choose a quality diamond is super important.
According to AGS or the American Gem Society – All diamonds are expensive and you as a buyer probably want an assurance that the quality you have invested your money is the quality you are getting. The professional jewelers have the experience and knowledge needed to assess the diamond quality. By using a specific or systemic system for precise characteristics, the expert graders and jewelers can evaluate the quality and the value of your diamond.
The good news is that our diamond quality guide can help you evaluate your diamond as well. You can use the same system experienced and professional jewelers use. The system includes the 4Cs or cut, color, clarity, and carat weight and when all these elements are combined, they present the ideal picture of your diamond’s quality.
- Cut quality of your diamond – The cut quality of the diamond is one of the most important characteristics. A well-cut diamonds shines as every facet and angle of the diamond interact with light perfectly. For round diamonds, this is fairly objective, however, the cut quality of fancy shape stones is a little bit more subjective. According to AGS – a well-cut diamond will have a more sparkle and life than one with a lesser cut quality. The cut quality grading ranges from ideal cut, excellent cut, very good cut, good cut, fair cut, poor cut.
- Color quality of your diamond – This can also have a huge impact on diamond’s value. The perfect diamond is colorless and the elements of the GIA diamond color grading scales are colorless, near colorless, faint, very light, and light.
- Clarity rating of your diamond – A beautiful diamond has no surface imperfections or inclusions while a bad quality diamond will have inclusions which can be spotted immediately. The diamond clarity grades include flawless, internally flawless, very, very slightly included, slightly included, and included diamonds.
- Carat weight of your diamond – This is the most objective of all 4cs.
- Diamond certification – A diamond certification is an official documentation of the quality of the diamond. The top diamond graders in the US and Europe are GIA< AGS, EGL, HRD, IGI, and CIBJO.
For more information about diamonds or for purchasing quality and conflict-free diamonds, visit the official Brilliant Earth store.